Continued from the previous blog post Climate Change Causing a Fundamental Reordering of Business Priorities…
Aon plc Global Media Relations
Steve Bowen, Director and Meteorologist for Aon’s Impact Forecasting team, commented: “The world continues to evolve as it is faced with new challenges around natural perils. While many private and public sector entities primarily focus on physical and human hazard risks, an increasing number of global regulative bodies are further pivoting towards how to handle emerging transitional and subsequent reputational risks. This is especially true as the ﬁnancial and humanitarian risks surrounding climate-enhanced events become more evident on a daily basis. Focus at the corporate and federal levels will be critical around investments in risk mitigation, resilience, and sustainability as the landscape around climate change solutions continues to accelerate with renewed urgency.
Signiﬁcant regional events during 2020 included:
- Costliest year on record for global severe convective storms led by historic U.S. derecho
- U.S. mainland endured a record-breaking 12 named storm landfalls, including six hurricanes
- Super Typhoon Goni struck the Philippines as the strongest landfalling storm ever recorded globally at 195 mph
- Ciara became Europe’s costliest windstorm since Xynthia in 2010
- Drought conditions reduced agricultural crop yields in Brazil and Argentina, burning 30% of the Pantanal Region
- The most widespread Yangtze River Basin ﬂoods since 1998 caused USD35 billion of economic damage in China’s monsoon season
Aon plc (NYSE: AON) is a leading global professional services ﬁrm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions. Our 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries empower results for clients by using proprietary data and analytics to deliver insights that reduce volatility and improve performance.
(Source: Aon plc)