The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Journal of Bridge Engineering issued a special call for papers on “Climate Change Impacts on Bridges.” Guest editors include Teng Wu, PhD, University at Buffalo; Shaopeng Li, PhD, University of Florida; and, Yaojun Ge, PhD, Tongji University. The aim and scope of the special call for papers highlight how climate change is “…recognized as a serious phenomenon with severe implications for the planet, its inhabitants, and our built infrastructure.” Further, evidence demonstrates that climate change will significantly impact the safety and durability of bridges, in the absence of proactive adaptation actions, and not reactive corrective measures. The ASCE notes the recent emergence of numerous climate mitigation and adaptation strategies related to the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of bridges across the total asset lifecycle, based on a new understanding of future weather and climate extremes.
This special collection solicits the latest progress in the research on the climate change impacts on bridges. The topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Modeling of future weather and climate extremes related to bridge design
- Hazardous effects on bridges under changing climate (e.g., aerodynamic and hydrodynamic loads)
- Lifetime bridge capacities under changing climate (e.g., aging and deterioration)
- Advanced analysis tools for bridge performance evaluations under climate hazards
- Risk and resilience assessment of bridge and transportation infrastructure under climate hazards
- Mitigation, intervention, and adaptation of climate change in bridge engineering
- Code and standard development for climate-resilient bridges
© 2023 American Society of Civil Engineers.
ClimaTwin® is a leading climate risk intelligence solution for infrastructure assets and the built environment.
We empower infrastructure stakeholders to mitigate climate risks and assess adaptation actions across the total asset lifecycle. By connecting complex climate models and infrastructure digital twins, our solution enables engineers, owner-operators, and governments to aggregate, visualize, and analyze disparate datasets, revealing site-specific insights at a hyper-local scale. Benefits include 5-10x near-term returns and lifetime cost-avoidance by mitigating risks to systems, services, and societies.
To learn more about climate risk intelligence for your infrastructure assets, please visit www.climatwin.com today.
© 2023 ClimaTwin Corp. ClimaTwin® is a registered trademark of ClimaTwin Corp. ClimaTwin Basic™, ClimaTwin Enterprise™, the ClimaTwin logo, and Climate Risk Intelligence for Infrastructure Digital Twins™ are trademarks of ClimaTwin Corp. All rights reserved.